The History of MPS 430
Melton’s original school was the State-subsidised Combined Denomination School, which was opened on 17th May 1858, with an attendance of about 30 children.
In 1863, when Melton was a staging post for Cobb & Co. coaches, the school was declared a Common School and received its number, 430.
In 1870, after twelve years on the creek flat, the school was transferred to the present site, where the pupils were accommodated in a single blue stone building. In 1877 a second adjoining blue stone building was built. (These bluestones can still be seen today).
In 1919a house was built for the headmaster, so they could live in the school grounds.
1870- 100 students
1931- 75 students
1938- 57 students
1946- 42 students
1954- 57 students
1970- 386 students
2016- 630 students
School sports commenced in 1937 and still run to this day.
In 2020, Melton Primary School celebrated 150 years on their present site. Unfortunately due to Covid-19 we were unable to provide a community celebration. The students celebrated within the school community.