Established on its present site in 1870, Melton Primary School (hereinafter MPS) currently has a student population of around 600. Originally a rural school, it now services part of the young, growing outer-western suburb of Melton.
MPS has a strong tradition of commitment to, and involvement with, the broader community. We highly value our two-way bond of loyalty between staff and families. Our school community is committed to fostering courtesy, pursuit of excellence, self-discipline and ongoing life values and skills.
Melton Primary School strives for our students to become active and independent learners by:
- Encouraging students to become lifelong learners who value themselves, others and learning.
- Promoting a social responsibility, resilience, perseverance and independence.
- Providing a nurturing and challenging environment that promotes inclusion, enthusiasm for learning and prepares individuals to become reflective and valued members of society.
In order to deliver this core purpose our school will:
- Demonstrate exemplary teaching and learning with innovative practices
- Build strong partnerships between school, home and the wider community
- Respect, value and promote diversity within our community
- Recognise and celebrate effort and achievement
- Promote a safe and caring environment.
To promote our School Agreed Behaviours and all that they encompass which are:
- We are active learners
- We respect others
- We are safe
- We are supportive
MPS continues to work tirelessly in developing a consistent approach to our curriculum in line with AusVELS and DET strategic directions, with the intention of embedding the Australian Curriculum in the near future.
At MPS our staff is committed to:
– creating a Professional Learning Community that focuses on learning rather than teaching, working collaboratively and holding ourselves accountable for results.
– developing and implementing a consistent curriculum in literacy and numeracy which fosters high expectations and improves outcomes for all students,
– creating a safe learning environment that encourages the development of confidence, social skills and motivation to learn and
– developing students’ skills, knowledge and attitudes necessary for transition through the various stages of schooling.
We continue to provide our staff with high level professional learning through the employment of three full time school based coaches. Our staff are committed to ongoing professional learning.
Our caring and dedicated staff members work closely with the wider school community to develop an educational partnership with and for the children. Parents are actively encouraged to participate in both classroom and wider school activities.
The students of MPS have the benefit of up to date facilities including:-
– A networked ICT system that extends throughout the entire school complex. All of our classrooms have Interactive Whiteboards installed. We run an iPad program which caters for one iPad between every two students. We also have two trolleys of 28 notebooks using the Windows based operating system which are available for classrooms to use.
– An indoor swimming complex which has a 6 lane 25 metre pool, toddler pool, change rooms and administration area. Our students are involved in two terms of swimming instruction as well as incidental pool based activities throughout the school year.
– A modern Multi-purpose hall incorporating a gymnasium, before and after school care centre, well-equipped canteen, handicapped toilet facilities, storage areas and offices. The hall is available for hire by community groups.
– A free standing Visual Arts room with facilities and equipment to provide a broad range of activities.
– A competition grade, fully lit tennis court with seating and shade sails provided in the surrounding area. This facility is also leased on a regular basis by a professional tennis coach who provides lessons to interested students in our community.
– Our BER building has 4 learning spaces one being utilised as a Science room, a meeting room, a small staffroom and toilet facilities.
– Large grounds including an oval, soccer ground, tennis and basketball courts, several play areas for specific age groups, safe modern climbing equipment, landscaped garden beds, covered areas and artificial turf.
– An Admin upgrade is on the cards, we will maintain our bluestone heritage but develop 21st century working conditions for our staff.
Our School Zone
Findmyschool.vic.gov.au hosts the most up-to-date information about Victorian school zones.
Information on this site is updated in Term 1 each year, ready for the Year 6 to 7 transition period.
To visit the site, see: www.findmyschool.vic.gov.au
If you have a question about school zones call the VSBA Hotline on 1800 896 950 or email email@example.com